Tuesday, October 03, 2006

More Characters for the Dilbert Files

I'm always intrigued by people's personalities. At work, there is always some dynamic going on with how to approach someone, how to try to get what you want with someone, how NOT to piss someone off, etc. There is always that person in the workplace that you always have to talk to with kid gloves for fear that they might explode and go postal on you. That someone is the person who is taking over my responsibilities for the job I am vacating. I'm not in the practice of naming names on my blog, nor do I want to share with what company I am affiliated, nor do I like talking about people behind their back. But let's just say that in this large corporation, that I'll henceforth refer to as "Cubicle Country", of all the people I have run into and had to bite my tongue with, she by far wins the prize. I've often been accused of being too upfront with people, too forthcoming in my communication, and frankly, I never understood why that is viewed as a bad thing. I will keep my comments to myself on what is wrong with this department that I am leaving, but I find it strange how someone like herself doesn't get called out with the same accusation. It seems like some people can slip through the cracks and others can't. Maybe it's because I always have that post-it note stuck to my back that reads, "I'm From NJ so Fuck You", but I have always been singled out as the one with the "attitude" around here, and someone once said to me, "I don't like anybody from NJ.". Ever since I moved to Ohio, there's been this suspicious nature from my fellow Buckeye-ers. But my observation is that, finally, with this new job, my direct communication and my forthcoming nature that always got me in trouble in this department, has been my winning quality with this new one. I started half time in my new position yesterday, and it was like a re-birth for me. Being surrounded by such talented people has completely recharged me. So in case you're wondering, yes I'm still excited about the job. I know I can't stop talking about it. And I promise I will shut up soon.

On the homefront, Andrew is still not 100% better yet and now is in the habit of waking up in the middle of the night like a newborn again. Not sure why, if it's his stomach still bothering him, if he's getting his appetite back, if he's in pain with his teeth -- I have no clue. All I know is that he seems almost "wired" when he wakes up -- he's closing eyes, turning his head to the side like he wants to sleep, but then his hand can't seem to sit still, and he pops his binky out, and starts to fuss. Then we go through the same thing over and over again. Dave decided to give him a bottle after he had been in this half awake/half sleep situation at about 3:30am. Dave had let me go back to sleep at that time, and this morning D said that he acted like he was starving and sucked it down really quick. He then went back to sleep after that. I'm assuming he's starving because he's been on that BRATY diet for about 10 days now: bananas, apples, rice, yo-baby yogurt and lactose-free formula. Any thoughts? Not to sound selfish, but I hope he gets better soon since we have CJ's birthday celebration this weekend and I've got my mom coming in from out of town. Not to mention I'm going to be traveling next week for work, leaving D for the first time with the kids 24/7 for 2 days. I'm a little worried about that. I just want him to get back to normal because I'm really getting worried about him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Birdsword said...

You are almost out, hang in there! It is hard being and east- coaster just about anywhere else in the world. But at the same time I bet you and that other person are totally different. While you are upfront and honest, she is probably volitile and combative in a passive aggresive manner which while being totally manipulative is usually ignored by HR because they don't know how to deal with it. At least people aren't afraid to talk to you!

My one year old is going thru something horrible right now-teething and crying and clinging. Hope your baby gets better soon!

11:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home