Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Since you brought it up....

Last night I called in to Kristen’s Blog Talk Radio show. It was a really interesting topic and one that I have had experience with firsthand: circumcision. No, not because “I’m a man, baby!”*, but because I have two sons. I have always hesitated talking about it on my blog, since everyone has an opinion on it, and there is no “gray area” when it comes to it, since you are either circumcised or not. Also, I feel it’s a really personal issue, and I don’t want my sons to come up to me in a few years and say, “Billy’s mom at school saw your blog on the internet, and now Billy is telling everyone about my foreskin!” So I will leave it at that.

Listen to the show if you wish. You will need Media Player. I discuss our current concerns with our oldest son, CJ. It was a lot of fun to call in! And last time I looked, I have rarely turned down the opportunity to give my opinion on something.

*Shamelessly stolen from Austin Powers.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I had noooo idea her show even existed! But who cares about the foreskin?? ME! :-)

1:15 PM

 
Blogger Christina said...

I haven't had the chance to listen to the show yet, but I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Mine is actually sort of a grey-area approach. I could care less either way, so I leave that decision up to my husband. He's Jewish (although not really practicing), so if we have a boy this time, he will be circumcised due to family/religious reasons.

3:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the show. Having helped over 7000 men in the past 3 years to undertake non-surgical foreskin restoration, I would like to hear more emphasis on a male's right to choose rather than a family's obligation to choose for him.

Over three-fourths of the world does not circumcise, and they have no special health, hygiene, or social problems.

-Ron Low
TLCTugger.com

3:03 PM

 
Blogger karla said...

Totally a hot topic of debate isn't it? I've lurked on message boards about this topic to see what others are saying and it gets really heated - to the point of personal attacks.

I guess having already lost a child I just think there are more important things in life to worry about than foreskin. That being said, I dont plan on having it done for my son, but that doesnt mean I don't respect those who choose it.

I'm have to check out that show.

12:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Billy's mom sounds like she must be a lot of fun at parties ;)

I've only listened to the beginning of Kristen's first show so far, but I hope to catch up soon. Good for you for calling in! I am all about non-censored forms of radio, including satellite and Internet.

9:15 PM

 
Blogger karla said...

I did end up listening to the entire show....pretty interesting wasn't it?

10:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted about the issue several months ago when we heard from a high school friend of Kyle's - she's Eastern European - who had just had a baby boy.

Like Christina, I'm kind of in the gray area, but would probably lean toward leaving a baby boy intact. In our case, it was the one decision that this control freak was willing to leave entirely up to her husband!

12:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home