Monday, November 17, 2008

Indoor fun: Part deux

During the summertime, when I'm not enjoying a drink with my husband on our deck, my weekends are usually spent either gardening, letting the kids roam free in our big backyard with their toys or taking them on excursions to the pool, the bike trails, the parks or community festivals. Easy entertainment for kids looking to blow off some energy.

With today being our first snowfall here in Ohio (can you believe that!?!?), cold weather season has officially descended. As mentioned in my previous post, to avoid climbing the walls, we’re always on the lookout for fun indoor activities around town. This year we joined COSI, a science center here in Columbus. My son CJ loves science, and since he is only in first grade doesn’t yet get a lot of exposure to it in his curriculum at school. So we went there over the weekend for a couple hours and the kids had great fun. The good thing about the membership is that we can come and go as we please and not feel pressured to have to do the whole place in one day.

CJ got picked out of the audience to go on stage for a static electricity demonstration, and although he was a little reticent at first, by the end he was excited as is evidenced by the series of photographs…



As for Andrew, they currently have a Sesame Street-themed exhibit about the human body that is geared mostly for toddlers and young kids. They had a blast at that, too.

Sometimes I think I should do reviews for events with the amount of things I take the kids to around town. I say that, because I’ll tell someone like my sister in law, who has lived here for about 20 years, about something we’ve done over a weekend, and she’ll say “You did that here in Columbus? I didn’t even know about that…” In the past 5 years that we’ve lived here I’ve developed a pretty long list of destinations to pick from. And I’m super cheap. I’m always on the lookout for either free or next to free. I usually always pack food and water bottles and rarely travel more than 10 miles. The good thing about my kids is that they are still at an age where they like to be with me and like to explore all sorts of places. And they are not over-indulged in modernity that they can’t appreciate the simple things. I love that about them. So even though I get very little cleaning done around my house, I have to think that these things are more important, right? (However, if I don’t clean my bathroom soon, we won’t have to travel father than our upstairs to see another science experiment).

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Start another blog about Columbus attractions. I bet you'd have a lot of people very greatful once they found you.

8:48 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Heather -- I just might do that. Might as well get as much as I can out of the experience, right? Hey, maybe if it becomes popular I could start scoring some good tickets to things!

9:18 PM

 
Blogger soccer mom in denial said...

Could NOT agree more that a clean house is not that important. Having outings and experiences like that are much better. One of my guys was picked last week during a school field trip to generate electricity on a bicycle. He's still talking about it.

9:41 PM

 
Blogger Christina said...

You're welcome to come guest post on Being Savvy Columbus if you want! It's totally designed to provide ideas for things to do with kids 6 and under in Columbus.

Heck, if Stefania would allow it, I'd welcome a writing partner. :)

3:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home