Thursday, October 16, 2008

The -Osis Post

The Diagnosis:
Gerd, LPR, Nasal polyps, asthma, and wait.. here's the kicker: a broken nose. Broken nose you say? Yeah, so did we. A kick in the face on the playground as a kid? No. A bar fight? No. A kick in the face by an angry toddler? No. There is still no definite answer on that one. The doc said his septum was so out of whack that it's no wonder he's all stuffed up. Of course, we're talking about a guy who was walking around without a problem 3 weeks ago, so who knows what else is around the corner. I hate to guess for fear I may jinx something.

The Prognosis:
Unknown. A CT scan next week, and follow up doc visits. And wait for the Gerd and the LPR to heal itself with meds. Many meds. Expensive meds. Did I mention that a one month prescription of Nexium is $66? And that is with insurance. Without insurance? $369.00. We're lucky we rarely get sick.

The Epistaxis: (a diversion)
One night last week, after a long day of double duty with the kids, entertaining my mom (more on that later), filling prescriptions and taking care of Dave, Andrew had gotten out of bed and yells from the top of the stairs, "Buddy nose!" And when I switched the light on there was a huge stream of blood coming out of his nose. No emergency room trip, just your standard bloody nose from picking boogers too deep, but I said, "Can I sit in the corner now and suck my thumb?"

The Eucalyptus:
The rest of the story of life continues. This was just a bump in the road. I'm sure there will more to follow. Stress happens. And we live through it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Ah, stress. Wish she'd go away.

Sorry about your mom. I like my space too. Any stay longer than 3 days and things go bad. (well, with my in-laws anyway) I spend a week on vacation with my parents in a tiny cabin and it's fine but I bet if they were in my house I'd be insane.

Hope the stress eases up for you.

10:20 PM

 
Blogger Christina said...

Oh wow, I just caught up on the entire story. I'm glad his heart is OK, and it sounds like a plan is being put together to make sure this stress can at least be reduced to a simmer from a full boil.

I had the same problem with my nose - no idea when I broke it, but it was seriously messed up, too, along with not having a pinched off lower left sinus. Two hours of sinus surgery in 1999 showed me that it is possible to breathe fully and exert myself without nearly passing out.

You deserve a break after all of this stress! Hang in there, and I hope things are better soon.

3:51 PM

 
Blogger Mayberry said...

I am trying to think of an -osis word that means "hope everything is much MUCH better from here on out..."

10:31 PM

 
Blogger soccer mom in denial said...

Moms are such a mixed blessing - and sometimes no blessing at all. I just hope we don't end up like that when our kids are adults.

Hang in there. It feels like such a wimpy thing to write but really. It will get easier.

5:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home