Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Some progress

I use the word "progress" loosely, because in this household, not ending up at the ER this week is an accomplishment. My husband's health issues, while they are still there, seem to have quieted a little as far as the attacks go. He is still quite fatigued, needs a lot of rest during the day, is still hardly eating anything, and is still sleeping upright. But he hasn't had to use his rescue inhaler in several days, which is good. He went for a cranial CT scan today, and he'll be re-visiting the ENT doc next week to discuss the results. I'm not expecting bad news, but I would like to know what they plan to do, if anything, about the polyps and broken nose. As for the attacks, his "gut" (no pun intended) is telling him that all of this is centered around a malfunction of his digestion and that the GERD is the true culprit of these attacks. However, in the land of HMOs we need to wait to get a referral, and that is several weeks from now since he has to start with the ENT first (which is what we're doing). We simply can't just call a GI doc listed in the yellow pages since it won't be covered. I feel like an interviewee on "Mystery Diagnosis."

And speaking of insurance, I am very glad that we have it. While I seem to pay a lot each month for it (and I bitch about that), it has been a lifesaver for this unexpected episode in our live (and hoping they end up paying for it all). I remember a brief period in the early part of the decade when, for various employment and re-location issues, we went without insurance for about 2 years. I shutter to think back to that, because I do remember feeling as if I was living on the edge. I had insurance while CJ was born, but shortly after that, we lost it and went without for a while after that. We used to take CJ to a free clinic for his newborn appointments. We had gotten ourselves in a bit of a financial mess, and sometimes I can't believe we, 2 educated adults from good families, were visiting a free clinic. But I'm not ashamed. I guess everybody gets down on their luck at least once in their lives. And even a few more times. Which is leading me to my stump speech for the day: we need public health insurance. If we can offer a socialized parachute for Wall Street, we can insure ourselves because it would cost much less than 700 billion dollars.

But I digress. Sorry, my GOP readers.

As for my emotions, I'm a little bit exhausted (but not enough to argue politics, apparently). And also suffering from bad PMS mood swings.

Dave is cooking dinner right now, which brings a lot of normalcy to the house, which I know CJ was craving a lot during all this back and and forth to the hospital. I learned a lot about CJ's relationship with his dad during all this. He really yearns for the routine his dad brings; a necessity that you don't know you need until it's not there. It's their type of love for one another. It became really obvious the different things I bring to his life and what his dad brings.

Well, that's about the wrap up. I'm feeling a bit lackluster right now, and not at all witty or wise. I'll work on getting the spunk back soon. TTFN.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Health problems have a way of forcing themselves to the forefront. I hope that you all can find out exactly what is going on and that it can be easily repaired.

It's hard to deal with just the health issues, sorry you're having mom issues too.

7:35 PM

 
Blogger Alex Elliot said...

I hope that can diagnosis it quickly. My husband and I went to marital counseling specifically to deal with in-law issues.

9:24 PM

 
Blogger Mayberry said...

Hey, the spunkiness can take a vacation from the blog right now. You need it in the real world! Take care.

9:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home