Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. Especially the night before Thanksgiving. It used to be a time when all of my friends that I hadn’t seen in sometimes a whole year would converge from all our respective places upon one bar in my hometown and reunite. We’d drink all night, go home, sleep until noon the next day and then gorge ourselves on turkey until we fell asleep again while watching our favorite football team. Ah, those were the days.

Well, things are quite different now. While I still don’t host Thanksgiving, which is fine with me, I don’t exactly have the opportunity to get drunk tonight, my friends live all over the country, my kids wake up by 7:00 am, and I never get to sit during a holiday for longer than 15 minutes let alone 3 hours for a football game. Life has certainly changed. And I don’t lament the days gone passed; every phase of life has its own opportunities and challenges. I like my life now, it’s just always amazing how much things have changed.

And change is a good thing. I certainly wouldn't still want to be that girl hanging out in the bar at my age. And it’s really hard to even imagine life before I had my kids. Somehow they seem to have been part of me my entire life, although I know that’s not true. So I’m truly thankful for them, thankful that I met my husband so long ago in such an accidental way (I do believe in fate for that very reason), thankful that we all have our health back – I can hear and Dave is starting to get back to normal – and thankful that even though life can be challenging, I am still alive and still in the game.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

9:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home