Friday, December 01, 2006

RED

My husband has been a bit of a Grinch about Christmas since his early twenties, and since we've had our two children, he's starting to come around to the idea of holiday cheer, rather than holiday sneer.

So while he can now sing the words to a popular carol without changing the first line to "It's beginning to look a lot like VEGAS!", I still like to maintain a bit of realism about the season. It's a magical time to be a kid, but as a parent some of the mystery is gone.

Now, I still get a magical tingle when I see my kids (almost 3 and almost 1) notice things like the tree and lights and inflatable yard decorations for the first time, but I'm a bit of a pragmatist. As such, I bring you the Twelve Days of Christmas Parenting, featuring the color red.

On the first day of Christmas, my children gave to me
A red nose always running.

On the second day of Christmas, my children gave to me
Two red-rimmed eyeballs,
And a red nose always running.

On the third day of Christmas, my children gave to me
Three fuschia bruises,
Two red-rimmed eyeballs,
And a red nose always running.

On the third day of Christmas, my children gave to me
Four rosy cheeks,
Three fuschia bruises,
Two red-rimmed eyeballs,
And a red nose always running.

On the fourth day of Christmas, my children gave to me
Four rosy cheeks,
Three fuschia bruises,
Two red-rimmed eyeballs,
And a red nose always running.

On the fifth day of Christmas, my children gave to me
Five flaming migraines!
Four rosy cheeks,
Three fuschia bruises,
Two red-rimmed eyeballs,
And a red nose always running.

(you didn't really want to read all of this filler, did you? Let's skip ahead...)

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my children gave to me
Twelve crimson smooches, (the best part!)
Eleven blushing glances, (coy, those little stinkers are)
Ten cold pink fingers, (perfect time in bed, right in the middle of my back)
Nine squashed red crayons, ("washable" is a euphamism for "ha ha, we fooled you!")
Eight ruby floor stains, (don't ask me - I don't know what made those spots)
Seven scarlet tantrums, (thanks for laying down on the floor while howling indignities)
Six smashed poinsettias, (I hope he will be coordinated by the time he's 20)
Five flaming migraines! (Oy!)
Four rosy cheeks, (great for munching)
Three fuschia bruises, (diaper changing gone terribly bad)
Two red-rimmed eyeballs, (when will the baby sleep through the night?)
And a red nose always running. (the gift that keeps on giving)


Pam usually hangs out over at Boy and His Blog, inappropriately named since she now has a daughter, too. Kate is over there today, so go visit her http://zachsday.blogspot.com! Pam, her pink cheeked children, and her runny nose wish you all a Happy Holiday!

You can find all the other Blog Exchange participants writing about Red (or Green!)
here!

13 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

Thanks for that bit of holiday merriment!

9:16 AM

 
Blogger Kara said...

So creative!

10:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very cute!

2:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute! You should teach it to your kids with these words instead of the original... who needs maids a milking these days anyway ;o)

4:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great update to a classic!

6:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely a creative take on the color red!

9:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved it!

10:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few months back my daughter was constantly asking for 12 Days as a bedtime song... I agree with TB, your version is much more realistic!

10:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved how the red nose is the gift that keeps on giving!

11:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I've been thinking about getting a couple pointsettias, but you've convinced me to rethink it.

And CJ ate a red crayon earlier today. I hope Kyle gets that poopy diaper tomorrow morning.

Love your version of the 12 Days; both of us appreciate new and different (and funny!) lyrics.

12:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. Sort of like GGC RAPZ but for Christmas songs. :)

1:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

12:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

9:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home