Saturday, September 02, 2006

When In Rome...


ohiostatestadium
Originally uploaded by katebunge.
Do as the Romans do. Or here in Columbus, do as the Buckeye fans do.
And root for OSU. Today was opening day for college football, and the
fan base here in Columbus for this football team goes to extreme levels.
The whole town is decked out in scarlet and grey. Not a native Ohioan, I
find this level of devotion for a college football team teetering on the edge of
insanity. I knew it was a popular team prior to moving to here, having been
aware of their victories, however I wasn't aware of the level of worship
these residents have for a group of college kids whose heads have swelled
to the size of watermelons, thanks to generous media coverage, both
broadcast and print.

Needless to say, as I was trying to clean my house while I had a teething
baby crying, a 4 year old complaining about the rain, there was the game
on in the background. So, I'm trying to fit in. I really am. But I can't tell you
who won the game.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

I think OSU won, judging by the victory songs being played on the radio in place of my usual music. (Grrr)

I was at the mall today, and just about every other person there was wearing something OSU-related. This city loves OSU football, and they love to show it, too. Even when OSU wasn't high in the rankings, they still were crazy about the game.

11:14 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Ditto - at Meijer's yesterday and I was lost in a see of OSU merchandising. Yes, they are die-hard fans!

10:29 AM

 
Blogger Kristi said...

Yep. That pretty much sums up C-bus. I live in SW Ohio now, and I am lucky to hear ANYTHING about OSU. It's all Bearcats, all the time.

Good for you going to Meijer's! My hubby works for them.

8:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home