Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The season it is a changin'

So… catching up over the last week or so off. I had joined the “Basement Bitchfest” (see button at right) and ranted on someone else’s blog about something quite big that had been festering in me for so long. I posted anonymously because, well, I might seem half insane if anyone who knew me read it. It’s all about who really is to blame about burning issues. And truly it’s not about my parents or my husband or my brothers or friends who have scorned me. While I’ve had some tough breaks in life, it’s all about me. It’s all about really taking hold of my own destiny and moving past lingering issues that drag me down and don’t allow me to become the person I really need to be. It’s about everyone’s responsibility to be in command of their own life.

But enough about me, right? Even though this is my blog there’s only so much I can stand of me. Onto other things. I’m on the edge of my seat with this presidential race. With the announcement of McCain’s running mate, and the race becoming more of a statistical dead heat, I have to ask…having people lost their minds? Is she really equipped to be second in command? Really? If this reflects where this country is headed, I fear for our future and the futures of my children and grandchildren. We are so going backward.

And so in my local world, besides fearing for my future, things are heating up with school stuff again, besides the recent cold snap with the weaher. We’ve gotten over the first week smoothly, CJ is handling it all quite well, and is really excited to be back in school. It’s his first year of having a full day of school, since both preschool and kindergarten were half days, and besides being “too tired to see” in the morning and get out of bed, once he’s up and at ‘em, he’s raring to go. And things are heating up with PTA business, too. Besides being the communications committee chairperson, I am also organizing a craft fair to be held at the school in November. It’s part noble, part selfish, as I’m also going to be an exhibitor. It’s the first time the school will ever host a craft fair, and I proposed the idea to the president over the summer. I have to make the full formal proposal at the first meeting tomorrow night, where I’m likely to get a passing vote. Unfortunately before I start all the legwork with recruiting vendors, they need all the members to vote on whether I can go forward. It’s like being at the starting gate waiting for the gun to go off. I’m pretty nervous about it all, and hope I can pull it off. We’re also going to have a bake sale and a make ‘n’ take table for the kids. I’m trying to see if someone’s willing to be Santa Claus for an appearance for pictures with the kids to raise some extra dough, but that might be too ambitious for the first year. So most of my spare time these days is caught up between preparing for the craft fair, and then also doing my own crafts. I plan to sell cards, prints and t-shirts. I love doing all this. I wish it were my full time gig. I’m banking on the karma that if I work hard enough on this new business, one day it will.

Meanwhile, here’s some good humor for the day.

3 Comments:

Blogger soccer mom in denial said...

You are a brave woman to go into PTO leadership! Good luck with the vote - I'm sure it will be successful.

I can't even start about Palin. A friend of mine runs a group that advocates for teen parents - she is in the press constantly and being very diplomatic about the entire thing. What just angers me is that she can dictate what is wrong with our families but her family is off-limits.

8:01 PM

 
Blogger Mayberry said...

Ooh, good luck with the craft fair -- that sounds like it would be fun and a good fundraiser too.

9:41 PM

 
Blogger Alex Elliot said...

I just heard all about the PTA today at playgroup. I'm impressed.

1:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home