Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A New Baby Is Born

Yesterday was a final step in this whole process toward Andrew’s recovery: his catheter was removed. And while he was screaming bloody murder as me, Dave and the nurse, held him down so the doctor could remove it, he was visibly relieved when it came out. And by the time we returned home, we were parents to a brand new kid. His face literally brightened as his coloring improved, and he was exuberantly laughing with his brother for the rest of the day. Back to his old self. His transformation was so amazing and contrary, it makes you wonder if he was in constant pain for the last 10 days. I mean, obviously he had to have been uncomfortable, but I guess my mind didn’t allow me to think that he could be in constant pain. But all seems better with his mood, and the doctor gave him a clean bill of health. We return 2 months later for an additional follow up, and we can only hope that everything that has been repaired stays intact.

The only thing lately that has been bothersome for him and for us, is that he has been difficult in getting to bed at night for the last 3 nights. And up early in the morning. And restless in the middle of the night. I haven’t had much sleep over the last 10 days and now I’m getting even less. Dave thinks he’s “wired” on all this medication he’s been on. Since he feels comfortable now that the catheter is out, we’re not giving him anymore Tylenol or Motrin tonight. We’ve had to let him cry it out for the past 3 nights and it’s a practice that we’ve never really subscribed to. But it seemed like nothing was working. And even that’s not working 100% because after we get him to sleep, he’s either up 20 minutes later crying again, or up in the middle of the night. Either way, he ends up back in bed with me and Dave moves to the couch.

So between all that, our first house purchase, and a change at work, I’m feeling totally “spent”. I haven't written about this change at work purposefully because I’d like to keep my job, but suffice it to say that I am transferring jobs within the same company, just to a different group. I was approached by my manager about a month ago. The change is expected to take place within the next 2 weeks. It’s exciting, but I am sad about leaving my current job, as I have great colleagues, a fantastic manager, and have hardly had time to get my feet wet since I've only been in my current role since last October. It's indicative of the corporate world, and I get that, but there’s a lot of changes happening at once right now that life is on overdrive right now. The good news is that I have a job, and that there are good people in this company looking out for me. It will be a good move for me. It’s just the timing is bad.

But thank goodness for kids to lighten up the mood. After all this complaining, I’ll leave this post on a lighter note with a question posed to me by CJ while we were at a fancy restaurant for Easter brunch:

A Greek Orthodox priest entered the restaurant, in full dress, and CJ seemed taken aback by his sudden presence by staring at him as he walked across the room to meet his acquaintances at an accompanying table. Having never seen a person of the clergy outside of Church, he says to me, rather loudly if I might add, “Mama, what’s that ‘Godperson’ doing here?”

That’s what I get for skipping Easter service.


Blogger Damselfly said...

Godperson, I love it!

Best wishes in your new job.

1:06 PM

Blogger Mayberry said...

I hope you get some sleep tonight--I had to apply some tough love last night to a sobbing little guy. It stinks.

Good luck with the new job, and just generally dealing with it all!

3:04 PM

Blogger soccer mom in denial said...

You are missed but there is no pressure. Thanks for the periodic updates. Glad to know a) he's feeling better, b) the job news sounds wonderful, c) the new house!

Take care. And sleep.

7:48 PM

Blogger Christina said...

Oh, thank goodness he's feeling better! I hope that things will heal without difficulty and no more surgery will be needed.

And I think this is just a week for not sleeping. Cordy has been going to bed late and getting up just as early. For us, it's the warm weather making her uncomfortable at night.

That sucks that you had to switch jobs, but hopefully the new one will be just as good as the old one. Will you have any contact at all with your old department?

9:34 PM

Blogger Heather said...

I can relate to the new person feeling, my son was like that after he had tubes in his ears...a whole different kid.

But it's still stressful on us Moms isn't it?

You sound like you're handling all the stress well though!

Good luck with the new position at work. It's hard to start something new when you like the people you're with.

11:04 PM

Blogger Alex Elliot said...

I am so glad that he's feeling better! It's awful when your kid is in pain. When one of my kids is sick, if it makes him feel better to share a bed with me, I'm all for it. At least we're all getting some sleep even if it isn't great.

My husband just had a similar situation with his job too. Good luck with the new position!

9:14 PM

Blogger creative-type dad said...

Godperson?!! That's funny!

I guess they do sneak out.

12:10 AM

Blogger karla said...

Glad to hear that Andrew is feeling better. I hope the sleep for you is soon to follow.

CJ's comment is so cute. Godperson! Geez. That's a good one.

4:24 PM

Anonymous L.A. Daddy said...

As the fine young lads of AC/DC once said... have a drink on me. Get some rest.

Very cool that Andrew is doing well.

2:30 PM


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home