Friday, March 20, 2009

Stress? Me? Nevah!

I’d like to think of myself as someone who has a high capacity for stress. I try to keep a sense of humor, I try to constrain my knee-jerk reactions, I don’t crawl under the bedsheets for days and wallow in my own misery. I say this, because I think we all know someone who is like that. And we may all be a bit like that during PMS, but that’s another post.

Anyway, we know we can run circles around “those people”. But what happens when you think you’ve been become that part of the group of “those people”? Let me say first that I think we all have delusions of grandeur in ourselves that probably helps us function during times of crisis. Those times in life when we are literally about to burst, but through clenched teeth we’re like, “I’m fine, really I’m fine. Oh, the twitching? It’s a new form of exercise for me.”

It’s easy for us moms to put on that game face. We all know motherhood is not for wimps, so we’re seasoned stress-fighters. Work is not for wimps either, and if you’re a mom working outside the home or in the home, we need the game face for that business stuff, too. So what I’m leading up to here is that last time I looked in the mirror my game face was getting a little haggard. It’s looking angry and tired. It’s forgetting what play is next in the book; whether it’s a man-to-man defense or a fast break for the basket. I feel outnumbered on the court and with no coach on the sidelines telling me what to do.

I’m juggling a bit too many things right now with volunteer work, craft projects, job searching, a full-time day job, mothering; you know, same old same old I suppose. Usually I handle it with at least a little bit of aplomb, but this past week I’m stumbling. And people are getting affected in ways I didn’t want them to be. I’m not blogging much, not reading much, I’m kind of getting semi-paralyzed. It’s like multi-tasking on crack. So much to do, and don’t know where to start.

So can I please have some laughter? The air is heavy around me lately. I need that I-can-do-it attitude back. It’s necessary for my survival because crashing would just be so detrimental. So I’m asking you please, direct me to something funny soon before I lose all grip with reality.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mayberry said...

Extreme sheep LED art!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

2:49 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Dang the video I was going to point you to has been removed from YouTube. Bummer.

Spring is coming! That usually makes me feel a little better!

8:11 PM

 
Blogger Christina said...

This is my go-to when I'm feeling stressed or down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1NoOOoaNw

Crazy fake Bollywood translations are hilarious.

(And my word verification is "unfairy" LOL)

9:54 AM

 
Blogger Alissa said...

Be strong, mama! Hang in there! I will keep my eyes open for something funny. Usually, a little flair in the morning does it for me. But flair just isn't as funny as it used to be. ?

8:40 AM

 
Blogger Alex Elliot said...

I think that picture on your post would give you a few laughs! I'm watching Twilight tonight and I've heard it's good for a few laughs due to cheesiness. Thinking of you.

3:29 PM

 
Anonymous Jim said...

Katherine,

Lets see if this will make you laugh. I don't remember what was actually said, but at MT we were having lunch up on 5 (the free lunch buffet) and sitting at the big table. The Male producer from Graphics (I think his name was his name Peter with some kind of Greek last name) made some kind of comment that we took as sexual in nature (even though it wasn't) and laughed our asses off hysterically or about 5 minutes. I don't remember what was said, but I am definitely smiling thinking about it. Do you remember that at all?

1:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home